Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Even More Reasons To Save For Your Kids: Social Security Fund Depleted By 2037

This article from Associated Press writer Stephen Ohlemacher caught my attention while signing to check emails early one morning. Social security funds expected to be all drained out by 2037? Huh? I admit I was not surprised, I mean most financial conversations I have with those in my generation and younger visit this topic. This means we really have to beef up our future savings and triple contribute to our retirement plans and pray the stock market gods shine favorably on us. Yeah right. Some say diversity is crap but I really do not agree there. I mean the idea of stashing in not just the 401k, 403b, IRA or whatever retirement program you are contributing to is a smart choice, but also consider other investment securities, real estate, business opportunities, and other outside of the box pathways to invest. Think about it. Our children probably will not see the luxuries our grandmothers and grandfathers have had the privilege of partaking in when it comes to social security. How old will your kids be in 2037? Why not start a little stash for them now? No one's saying you need to throw $400 a week aside for them. If you got it, then do so. But $50 a week is okay too, it's something. With the social security funds being streched due to the economic downturn, baby boomers who are retiring and applying for benefits, and less and less payroll contributions you better have a plan B for your pride and joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment